Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rangitoto Rocks!!!!

Yesterday I did something I have wanted to do for so long...it isn't funny. I went to Rangitoto with my neighbour, Mary, and my walk group! We boarded a ferry at Pine Harbour Marina at Beachlands and in 20 minutes had stepped onto Rangitoto.

The group leader Linda (who I call 'Camp Mother') told us we could 'do our own thing' as long as we were back at the wharf to depart at 2pm. So Mary & I set off on a leisurely walk to the summit. We passed piles of what looked like rich topsoil but was in fact volcanic rock. It looked SO amazing in amongst all the greenery. Rangitoto is home to the BIGGEST Pohutukawa forest on Earth...pretty amazing!! We had about half an hour to reach the summit when we came upon Fay, who had had a dizzy 'turn' so we stayed with her a bit, giving her a muesli bar & my jacket to sit on. After awhile she said she felt better & was determined to get to the top. So we set off again & eventually got to the top.
The view was BREATHTAKING to say the least. We were so blessed with the weather as overcast conditions with drizzle were predicted (& in fact have come today.) It was warm, with a gentle breeze and you could see FOREVER. Every KIWI should go there!! I wish I had thought to take Liz and Sandy? Next time they visit...it will be on our list!!
I am still having problems putting photos on my blog so will have try and get it sorted. It is very frustrating? Chanel's blog is AWESOME with all the pics she has on it!! ONE DAY????
Time to 'log off' & get some chores done. Toodles :)

No comments: