My penpal of 42 years, Liz from Canada, arrived early on Sunday morning with her new hubby, Sandy. It was the first time we had met in person & we were both eagarly looking forward to it! I positioned myself as close as I could to the passenger arrival doors & got chatting to a lovely Dutch couple who were retired & spending the first year of it, cycling in various countries! They really were very inspirational & very excited for me which was so nice of them!
An hour after their plane landed, Liz & Sandy finally came through those doors. What a moment!! We both AAAAAAAAAAAAAA'd together then it was hugs & tears all round! I felt like I was meeting up with my long-lost sister. I guess after 42 years of corresponding we DO have a lot of history. We have shared SO many good & not so good things over these years. As they had booked a camper van months ago on the internet we went outside to look for it. After awhile I rang the company who eventually turned up? (I was not impressed to say the least.) On arrival back at the company's depot Liz & Sandy were informed their camper wasn't available? They were given a 'people mover' & we proceeded on our way home with Ross riding with Sandy in the 'PM' & me driving Liz in our car. We chatted ALL the way home.....so much to talk about & so many questions to ask. Where do I start?
Once home they unpacked & got comfortable & we proceeded to have an enjoyable, relaxing afternoon & evening! Liz made me a GORGEOUS bed quilt..(so talented) & gave us some Canadian Maple Syrup..yum & maple leaf shaped candy..double yum!!
Monday saw Liz, Sandy & I go back to the rental place to pick up their camper van.....but surprise, surprise the manager (an Indian guy) got a bit aggro & told them he didn't hire campers, only cars & vans & he had told them this???? THANKFULLY they had copies of all emails sent & received & at no time did he ever tell them this. But he wasn't happy, storming out of the office protesting he was off to buy them a camper van??? Nothing added up, which left me feeling very frustrated & annoyed that my dear friends could be treated so badly from day 1. We had our lunch up Mt Wellington, visited Blair & Lisa at work, did some shopping etc, called in to Orere Pt on the way home to show them the bach we used to own, arrived home to the smell of roast lamb (that had been cooking in the crock-pot,) prepared the veges & made the Clevedon Coast oyster entree! Liz had bought over some of my letters & we all had a good laugh at some of the things I had written.....some were PRETTY tragic I hate to say???
That night they decided to hire a car & stay in cabins, backpackers & homestays etc. So I rang a reliable Howick lady I know who has a car rental business & she gave them a great deal. So Tuesday saw us pick up her car, return the 'PM' & proceed to cancel the original contract with the Indian guy. But surprise, surprise AGAIN...his office door was locked? We left the key & a note with the office lady downstairs & arrived home at lunchtime. After lunch & loading the car Liz & Sandy set off on their big adventure of touring N.Z. They stayed on the Coromandel last night & are staying with Mum tonight so I will phone tonight & see how their first day went! Will keep you posted! I miss them already!!
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment